[Taxacom] Our Monkey Ancestors

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 14 14:30:33 CST 2010

When I went to school, it was order Primates - since when has Primata started being used? Next, we'll be calling flies order Dipteroptera! Sure, our ancestors were members of the order Primates, but which ones? There does seem to be a role for vernacular names in taxonomy, made more precise than in everyday usage. Sometimes they can be more stable and flexible than the scientific names...