[Taxacom] Our Monkey Ancestors

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 14 14:40:29 CST 2010

>animals (motile, non-chlorophyllose, standard definition)

by what standards? Very bad "definition" by cladistic standards: non-photosynthetic = plesiomorphy, motility = homoplasy

add multicellular (=apomorphy, though biphyletic - also an apomorphy of plants) and you get a better definition, equivalent to Metazoa (with the Parazoa thrown in while you blink), and probably monophyletic, but quite apart from any issues to do with vernacular names, should we call such a clade (scientific name) Animalia or Metazoa?