[Taxacom] Our Monkey Ancestors

Curtis Clark jcclark-lists at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 14 22:00:02 CST 2010

On 2010-01-14 12:40, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> add multicellular (=apomorphy, though biphyletic - also an apomorphy
> of plants)

If we're talking about complex multicellularity (ontogeny resulting in
multicellular differentiated organs), it's also found in crown
heterokonts and fungi, and even in plants, the rhodophytes and
streptophytes developed it separately, and there are chlorophytes that
are arguably multicellular.

If I wanted a morphological synapomorphy, I'd go for gastrulation.