[Taxacom] Why insects are so diverse?

Thomas Lammers lammers at uwosh.edu
Sat Jan 16 07:19:11 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Mesibov <mesibov at southcom.com.au>

> Every once in a while I stumble across a paper that gives me an
> 'Uh oh...' reaction. That's 'Uh oh...' as in 'Hmm, if that's
> true and more common than we now know about, we need to rewrite
> a few textbooks.'

A major theme in my life and teaching has always been, "We ain't as smart as we think we are."

Time and time again, history shows that just when we start getting all comfy and cozy, thinking we've got it all figured out, along comes something to upset the applecart and drive home the point that there's a LOT about this world we don't know.

This is even more true about evolution than about other areas, it seems.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Associate Professor and Curator of the Herbarium
Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh

http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=615