[Taxacom] HHDB: hemihomonyms

Pat LaFollette pat at lafollette.com
Mon Jan 18 15:17:31 CST 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

At 06:49 AM 1/18/2010, Wolfgang Lorenz wrote:
>it's not 250 years too late, it's just the right moment to do things
>properly and "make nails with head". The ship has sailed well for 250 years,
>so why not renew some sails and make it fit for the electronic media?

I would suggest that the electronic media should renew some its sails
to make it fit 250 years of systematic biology.

My point is that systematic biology should not, and need not, be
subservient to the convenience of programmers, their indexing
algorithms and database models. The biodiversity software designers
should be serving the needs of systematic biology, not the other way
around.  With effort and creativity, the indexing algorithms can be
incrementally improved, elaborated and tailored to better accommodate
the historical data. I suggested procedures that would improve the
indexing of hemihomonyms.  It is neither necessary nor appropriate to
ask the systematics community to undo 250 years of accumulated
literature in response to a problem that can be readily managed by other means.

Pat