[Taxacom] Need advice from aquatic/marine readers

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Thu Jan 21 08:48:57 CST 2010

Dear Taxacomers,

Saint Mary's College has an undergraduate research program (sponsored by
one of our alumnae) at Little Corn Island off the Gulf coast of
Nicaragua. Although I'm not directly involved, I do serve as an adviser
for some of the students. One student has been assigned the task of
documenting the fish fauna at various sites around the island and will
be certified in SCUBA and provided an underwater camera to help record
her observations.

This project is not something that any of us here have experience with.
Are there tools available for keeping records (e.g., writing or making
recordings) while submerged. I know there are inexpensive dive slates,
but is there anything better that might be used for writing or recording
observations as one swims around the site taking photos?

We would appreciate any advice on how to approach this.

Cheers,

Dick J

Richard Jensen, Professor
Department of Biology