[Taxacom] Need advice from aquatic/marine readers

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 01:45:12 CST 2010

The simple and workable approach, as Sergio Vargas suggested, is to
use an underwater slate. Sand off a piece of 1/4"-thick plexiglass to
the size that you think you'll need (sand both sides so both are
usable). Use a size that's big enough to hold what you think you'll
record, but probably not much bigger than a sheet of paper, for
manageability when diving. Be sure to round off the corners and edges,
or they will cut water-soaked fingers.

Use stubby golf pencils for writing. Drill a hole in a corner of the
slate, attach a piece of rubber tubing with a knot through the hole,
and use the free end around the blunt end of the pencil.

You can transcribe the slate after diving, or simply photocopy it (or
even take a digital photo of it -- good field backup). Clean it using
a slightly abrasive kitchen cleaner (just squirt some on the slate and
rub with your fingers).

An alternative, if you're going to do a whole lot of form-based data
collection, is to use waterproof paper. One version can be had here:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/3299/Rite-in-the-Rain-All-Weather-Copy-Paper/waterproof%20paper/0
You can put it into a clipboard and use a big rubber band around the
bottom edges.

The downsides to paper are that you'll need to experiment carefully to
find a pencil that will actually write well on it underwater; it's a
bit fragile; and it's awfully fussy to swap pages underwater. The
times we used this approach, we ended up wishing we'd just used
multiple slates instead!

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff