[Taxacom] Zootaxa DOI

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Jan 23 05:03:54 CST 2010

Dear Geoff,

Identifiers by themselves aren't terribly useful, it's the services
that go with them that create real value. Zootaxa could have clean
URLs, Handles, or DOIs issued by somebody other than CrossRef, but it
would only see real benefits if it used CrossRef DOIs. These benefits
would include Zootaxa papers being linked to in the list of papers
cited by other journals, and "forward linking", where each web page
for a Zootaxa paper could list what papers cite that Zootaxa paper.

So, the answer is, yes Magnolia Press could use other identifiers, but
in my opinion unless they are DOIs registered with CrossRef then it's
a wasted effort.

Regards

Rod

On 23 Jan 2010, at 07:44, Geoff Read wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's only just dawned on me that Zootaxa ("World's foremost journal in
> taxonomy")  papers can't be found by DOI or other permanent handle. Is
> that correct? Is there another system other than signing up to
> Crossref.org that Magnolia Press could be using?
>
> Geoff
>
> --
> Geoffrey B. Read, Ph.D.
> Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
> gread at actrix.gen.nz

> of these methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/
> pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
DEEB, FBLS
Graham Kerr Building