[Taxacom] Status of Canadian Taxonomic Science

Kipling (Kip) Will kipwill at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 25 09:31:53 CST 2010

Dear Taxacomers,

I would be very interested to see what members of this list think of a
recent paper by Packer et al. (2009. The status of taxonomy in Canada
and impact of DNA barcoding. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 87:1098-1110.)

The discussion is important as a panel will convene this week to
determine the status and future direction of taxonomy and biodiversity
science in Canada http://www.scienceadvice.ca/biodiversity.html

If you have an informed opinion, it might be useful for your colleagues
  on the panel (see link above) to hear from you.

The analysis in the paper above uses a small number of Canadian journals
(3) to determine trends in taxonomic output. A quick search of any
typical database (e.g. Zoological record) for authors with Canadian
addresses and new species descriptions does not show the strong trend
they portray. Though the notion that funding for taxonomic research has
declined seems obvious enough, their measure does not seem to provide a
realistic view.

Additionally, output is measured as number of new species (a
questionable metric at best), but the most peculiar comparison is
between “Total new species”, a questionnaire-based number of all
presumed new species, published or not, for labs funded by Barcode money
vs. only published new species from labs otherwise funded.

The basic premise seems questionable as well. Where they get the
quotation “DNA barcoding has taken funds away from traditional
approaches to taxonomy” is unknown to me. When critiquing DNA barcode
methods my co-authors and I always took great pains to point out that
*future funding*, not existing lines of funds, would be directed to
barcoding over future *integrative taxonomic research*, not "traditional
taxonomy". Perhaps this committee will be a test of our idea. In any
case, very few people are interested in holding the status quo, so this
seems a poorly stuffed straw man.

Kip Will
--
Kipling W. Will
Associate Professor/Insect Systematist

mail to:
137 Mulford Hall
ESPM Dept.- Organisms & Environment Div.
University of California
Berkeley, California 94720

phone 510-642-4296
fax 510-643-5438