[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

Don.Colless at csiro.au Don.Colless at csiro.au
Tue Jan 26 00:13:16 CST 2010

It's worth noting that Karl Popper, while insisting that science advances by the testing of hypotheses, steered clear of just how we should arrive at those hypotheses. Indeed, I seem to recall that he admitted intuition there. The most respectable these days seems to be the process of "inference to the best explanation" - which, surely, requires just the intuition of a highly trained, talented expert.

Donald H. Colless
CSIRO Div of Entomology
GPO Box 1700
Canberra 2601