[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Tue Jan 26 00:53:52 CST 2010

intuition & inference to the best explanation leads us to hypotheses with
the highest prior probability; these are then tested to obtain a posterior
probability for each. All science is Bayesian in this broad sense. Few test
hypotheses that have extremely low prior probabilities because most are
wrong.

-Derek

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 9:13 PM, <Don.Colless at csiro.au> wrote:

> It's worth noting that Karl Popper, while insisting that science advances
> by the testing of hypotheses, steered clear of just how we should arrive at
> those hypotheses. Indeed, I seem to recall that he admitted intuition there.
> The most respectable these days seems to be the process of "inference to the
> best explanation" - which, surely, requires just the intuition of a highly
> trained, talented expert.
>
> Donald H. Colless
> CSIRO Div of Entomology
> GPO Box 1700
> Canberra 2601
> don.colless at csiro.au
> tuz li munz est miens envirun

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Assistant Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu
http://users.iab.uaf.edu/~derek_sikes/sikes_lab.htm

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum of the North -
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/