[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

Peter Hovenkamp phovenkamp at casema.nl
Tue Jan 26 15:35:51 CST 2010

It is curious to see that scientists are worried by these objections to
computerized methods raised by lawyers. They should rejoice.

It has long been recognized by philosophers of science that exact
reproduction of observations does little to further scientific knowledge
(see, e.g., Collins 1984, Franklin & Howson 1984, but similar statements
can be found throughout the literature - although many seem to find this
so self-evident that they think it unnecessary to state it explicitly).
The argument, basically, is that an exact (I mean exactly exact)
repetition of an observation can hardly count as an independent
replication and is therefore, uninformative about anything except,
perhaps, about the question whether the measuring apparatus (or computer
algorithm, in this case) is working properly. Therefore, every single
deviation, however slight, in the course of an analysis, takes us one
step in the direction of an independent (and therefore informative)
replication.

Illustrative examples are easy to find, but "subjective judgments about
similarities and relationships" are not part of them.

Collins, H.M.  1984. When do scientists prefer to vary their
experiments? Stud.Hist.Phil.Sci. 15, 169-174.

Franklin, A., Howson, C.  1984. Why do scientists prefer to vary their
experiments? Stud.Hist.Phil.Sci. 15, 51-62.

Peter Hovenkamp