[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:54:29 CST 2010

I think the key is that analytic methods produce results that we wish to
interpret according to some set of a priori
assumptions/hypotheses/guesses. What we get, as Stephen noted, is a
function of what those assumptions etc. are. Are they a function of some
explicit process, or are they just one possible reflection of a
particular set of assumptions? There are patterns in nature - the
questions are: Can we detect them? If so, how do we detect them? How do
we know when we have detected them? Can we explain them?

Dick J

Richard Jensen, Professor
Department of Biology
Saint Mary’s College