[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed Jan 27 10:13:47 CST 2010

Well, Dick, I think we need to go beyond patterns. The particular
processes and the particular historical events that lead to patterns and
clustering in nature should be a focus. Doubtless patterns lead to and
guide study that might reveal processes and historical events. Patterns
also are convenient for classification, but surely knowledge (when such
can be had) of a process and/or an historical event should also inform
classification. Also, patterns of what? With morphological data we get
inferred clusters of shared homologous traits fixed at nodes in a
gradualist model of evolution, with molecular data we get inferred
genetic continuity and isolation events without relevance to taxa. Of
course, compared to these bad interpretations in phylogenetic analysis,
phenetics is refreshingly clean in what it is doing.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299