[Taxacom] Reproducibility of phylogenetic analysis

J. Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Wed Jan 27 13:18:50 CST 2010

A standard research program for Lakatos was one that actively engages in
theory/hypothesis formation and testing. Nothing remarkable about that.
Explanatory hypotheses, by their very nature are reactions to effects in
the present. What causes actually did occur in the past are rarely
available to us, even as eye witness accounts. This is just the plain
reality for all facets of explanation, not just systematics. We struggle
no more or less than anyone else seeking to explain the present by way
of the past. As in all the sciences, the mechanics of testing
explanatory hypotheses is rather straightforward, regardless of the
difficulty of actually doing it. The problem in systematics and
evolutionary biology is that the subject is either ignored, in lieu of
seeing cladograms as the end point, or testing is misrepresented, as is
often seen with the notion of 'throw in more characters.'

You're correct, systematics has had a rather different sort of research
program. One that isn't particularly in accord with how science is done
in other fields. That seems like a good basis for making a change from
the status quo of cladograms being the means to the end.

Kirk

--
J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.
e-mail: kfitzhug at nhm.org