[Taxacom] Pro-natalism vs. biodiversity and population dynamics

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Fri Jan 29 07:46:15 CST 2010

Obviously, Bob and Hans are right, and I don't believe many of us would
disagree in principle. The "population problem" is, as Garrett Hardin
noted so eloquently, a problem with no technological solution. This is a
problem that requires an understanding of what we mean by carrying
capacity (as applied to any species). Given what we know about our
planet, it certainly appears that we humans have violated Hardin's 11th
commandment. But, because we are, to the best of my knowledge, the only
species that has the ability to evaluate the global consequences of
this, we can take steps to reduce population (not just slow growth) and
preserve environments for all our fellow travelers. Where do we start?

As I suggested, a starting point might be to decide on the minimum
amount of resources that can be allocated to each individual; and by
this I mean responsible allocation of resources - eliminate geopolitical
boundaries, evaluate all necessary resources on a global basis, and do
so in the context of a plan that does not permit additional destruction
of natural ecosystems/habitats. Then we can make some progress.

Do I believe such is likely to happen? Not today. We live in a world of
rational herdsmen who will keep adding one more sheep to their flock
until resources are exhausted and the entire system collapses. Of
course, a rational herdsman should be intelligent enough to understand
the consequences of his own actions and take steps to prevent what
appears inevitable. In my view, most people are sufficiently selfish to
want someone else to make the sacrifices necessary to correct the
current situation. I still believe education is the key - it has been
documented to make a difference in a number of settings.

Cheers,

Dick J

Richard Jensen, Professor
Department of Biology