[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 29 19:50:34 CST 2010

the "taxonomy" is interesting here: "rogue taxonomists" is surely a "taxon" with very fuzzy boundaries, which is part of the problem, and why action against the likes of Makhan could easily become the thin end of the wedge leading to the obstruction of people who genuinely have a contribution to make. I speak in part from experience in that I have faced serious obstruction by one or two "professional" taxonomists, whose work I would rate not all that much higher than Makhan's (though they do a good job of hiding that fact behind a smoke screen of bewildering details). Turn this on its head: people like Makhan are in fact giving other taxonomists every opportunity to come along and show how much BETTER they are. Anyway, I can't recall the specific case at present, but just when other coleopterists were synonymising Makhan's taxa as a matter of course, one of them had to reinstate one of Makhan's species when he discovered that Makhan had made a useful observation! I'm not sure if this justifies the rest of the crap DM puts out, but at any rate, one thing is for sure: the more you complain about him, the more he is going to do it ...