[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Sun Jan 31 01:51:48 CST 2010

Hi, Stephen & others patiently following this thread.

Look, I am *not* worried about rogue taxonomy/ists in general. I am worried very specifically about the proposed amendment to the zoological Code which will allow an e-only work to be considered a publication. I don't see this as a gradualist change which won't make very much difference. I see it as a huge change which for truly bad taxonomists to make truly big impacts.

The responses I'm reading here remind me of the early days of email, which was seen as just electronic letters. It wasn't, it was different, and now some ungodly proportion of all email is junk spam. I'm concerned that e-only publication will become dominated by spam taxonomy.

We need controls. It's a big ask to want the ICZN to put quality controls on the whole of taxonomic publishing, desirable as that might be. It is *not* a big ask to want e-only publication restricted to a whitelist of selected journals.
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate