[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 31 02:19:08 CST 2010

Bob - I can see where you are coming from, and if everyone were like you there would be no problem, but they ain't! You have your fears of "taxonomic spam" taking over, but I have my fears about your proposed solution. I fear that taxonomic progress will slow down significantly if restricted. A significant proportion (but by no means all) of the taxonomists who would survive the restriction would be working in corporate environments and would be trying to do as little taxonomy as possible for as much funding as possible. Increasingly, more and more funding would go to molecular or economically driven projects, and less to pure taxonomy. I just think that the (possibly imaginary) "taxonomic vandals" you worry about are not the real enemy! I just don't think there are an army of Makhans waiting over the hill ready to charge when they get the e-only flag! I don't know what motivates Makhan, but there is little to suggest that he is trying to cause trouble (he bites back, but only in self defence, as far as I can tell). His work on beetles has improved a little over the years - sure it still is pretty shoddy - but people need to be given the opportunity to improve. His recent millipede paper is rock bottom, but it is his first go at the (difficult) group...

Stephen