[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 31 02:29:50 CST 2010

Neal - your email starts with a comment that I thought was going to lead to something I was just wondering about, but it didn't. That is, I have only heard about "e-only" in relation to the ICZN, but what do the bots think about it? Are they considering a change?

As for your other comments, I am in agreement, and would like to reiterate something I just said to Bob, namely that the restriction of taxonomy to those who are employed in corporate institutions is likely to be bad for taxonomy. I can only really speak from the New Zealand context, but here the main science funding body only funds certain institutions that it has a "close" relationship with, and the current round gave "New Zealand land biota" NZ$7m more this 4-year cycle, but we have had fewer than ever taxonomic publications (except perhaps in botany) as a result! For example, 2008-2009 is the only consecutive two years since its inception in 1982 that there hasn't been a single publication in the Fauna of New Zealand series...

Stephen