[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Sun Jan 31 02:35:04 CST 2010

Stephen, I also understand your concerns, you've expressed them very clearly. But

"I fear that taxonomic progress will slow down significantly if restricted"

is a very general fear and is not unlike 'thin end of the wedge' arguments. Just as many people on this list cannot imagine that there are egomaniacs out there who would see do-it-yourself e-only publication as a fantastic opportunity, I personally cannot imagine who would be seriously disadvantaged by a whitelist of (Doug Yanega's ballpark estimate) 500 print+online/online journals which would be the only places e-only publication would count.

This new 'universe' of journals which could publish e-only taxonomy would be just that: new. The old universe of journals and self-published works doesn't change. How is adding something new a restriction?
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate