[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 31 02:43:57 CST 2010

The "thin end of the wedge" means that once you start placing restrictions (and 500+whitelisted journals is more than reasonable) on taxonomy, where will it end? Suddenly, the 500+ becomes 50, all funded by institutions with a molecular focus, and suddenly nobody is very interested your millipede descriptions any more ...

As an aside, I worry today about journals without websites which don't get abstracted by Zoological Record or anything ... there are some. I wonder how often they publish and what they are publishing? Also, one off books are still sometimes a problem in this regard ...