[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Sun Jan 31 02:45:33 CST 2010

Why don't we look what the microbial colleagues do:

International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology
An official publication of the International Committee on Systematics of
Prokaryotes (ICSP; formerly the International Committee on Systematic
Bacteriology)[1] and of the International Union of Microbiological Societies
(Bacteriology and Applied Microbiology Division),[2] the journal is the
single official international forum for the publication of new species names
for prokaryotes

Our equivalent solution would be, that we make it mandatory that any
nomenclatorial act be registered at Zoobank, including the name and the
entire treatment. This way we at least have an idea of what is going on.

We could also make it mandatory that the e-publications have to be archived
at PubMed Central (assuming they will accept this) or equivalent. The
nomenclatorial act would only be accepted if there is a life link to the
deposited and archived article.

Donat