[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Sun Jan 31 03:29:17 CST 2010

I understand this well, but we have to make it happen, and we should not end
up with registering metadata of the name /nomenclatorial act, but the entire
information as well.

All of us discussing this issue should make sure, that we not just discuss,
but act.

A whitelist doesn't help either. It is again just metadata that doesn't do
the job. Rogues, if you want to maintain this, are only sorted out in the
context of none rogues. And this can only be done, if we have the rogue's
content as well as the non-rogue. Technically, this is not a problem, but
the barriers are social. We should all add to our long list of scientific
duties an item that is named data dissemination, registering names, and make
publications accessible on open repositories. Few mouse clicks after some
initial work, but extremely potent (see again for ants:
http://tinyurl.com/y8prqga the effect ie useage of a taxonomic digital
library.

Donat