[Taxacom] FW: Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sun Jan 31 09:31:23 CST 2010

Wolfgang Wuster: "The only reason vandals are common in taxonomy [...]"

Common? The names I heard in these discussions are Hoser, Wells, Wellington, Makhan. Sometimes a Turkish name comes up, just becasue this colleague replaces homomyms without much insight.
Why is is always the same four names that come up if  'vandals' are so common?

Wolfgang Wuster "The question is, wouldn’t we be better off learning from
history, rather than being its prisoner?"

I personally would prefer not being prisoner of a handfull of people who are declared 'vandals' by some others. I would prefer to maintain the freedom of speach in taxonomy.

We seem to live in a time in which a tiny number of people can easily change the lifes of the majority. In case of airport security, I can somewhat understand that our freedom is increasingly restricted, because lifes are at stake. I case of 'rogue' taxonomy, I am not so sure.

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee