[Taxacom] Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Sun Jan 31 11:23:46 CST 2010

Richard Zander wrote:
> Adding a worm to the bag:  The problem can be stood on its head. If one
> does not like an e-name, then simply say it was never published in hard
> copy and reject it. How will the author prove it was published in hard
> copy, particularly on the date given in the e-publication?

A lot more easily than anyone can ever PROVE that something did NOT
exist. A date-stamped copy from around the date of online publication in
 > 1 library would sort the question of availability out once and for all.

on the other hand, proving that an author did not send out a few copies
straight off his laser printer to a few mates is genuinely virtually
impossible. At the end of the day, I guess we simply need to treat
availability the same way as the taxa themselves: as a hypothesis that
can be tested with further evidence ;-)

Cheers, Wolfgang Wuster

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster - Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk