[Taxacom] Arctic Flora of the USSR translation

Mark Egger m.egger at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 17:09:34 CST 2010

In answer to Adolf's original question, I would love to see the
translation of all the books mentioned in this thread, especially the
Russian Arctic Flora. It is an historical document and is still a very
significant contribution to holearctic botany and to the world flora
in general. In particular, I am interested in Olga Rebristaya's work
on Castilleja. She put considerable effort into this genus and
published several papers and flora contributions in what seems to be
a reasoned and thorough approach. While some of her new taxa may be
regional forms, it appears to me from the limited specimens I've seen
that at least some of her new taxa are well-supported. The protologues
are in Latin, so that is some help. Trouble is, I can't read Russian
and I can't obtain either access to or images of the type specimens at
LE. My only option at present is to go to St. Petersburg or chance
upon someone with travel plans who might be convinced to photograph
the types for me. Any volunteers? There are about 40 types involved. I
don't feel I can fairly evaluate Rebristaya's work or those of other
Russian botanists without reading the supporting text and/or the type
specimens.

Mark

Research Associates
WTU