[Taxacom] FW: Do rogue taxonomists need rogue publishers?

Stephen Thorpe s.thorpe at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jan 31 21:43:19 CST 2010

It would be naive to think that you can always make things better by solving individual problems. I agree that it would make the life of the "good taxonomist" easier if we disregard names by "bad taxonomists", but that is not the point. Actually, the situation with N.Z. beetles is similar to what you describe - Thomas Broun described thousands of them between 1880 and 1923, mostly on single specimens, and without a clear notion of variation. Just about all his types are in London - accessible, but less so than if they were here. I recall seeing a draft key by a now deceased N.Z. coleopterist which said "types not seen, identifications based on little more than inspired guesswork"! Perhaps it would be easier to disregard all Broun's names too, and start again? Then in a hundred years, after the invention of new techniques, they can throw out all our present names, and start over yet again! The problem is that the "good taxonomist"/"bad taxonomist" distinction is not clear cut ...