[Taxacom] new whale genus name is preoccupied

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jul 1 18:09:37 CDT 2010

Here is Koch (1841): http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/81522#2

________________________________
From: Doug Yanega <dyanega at ucr.edu>
To: TAXACOM at MAILMAN.NHM.KU.EDU
Sent: Fri, 2 July, 2010 10:40:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] new whale genus name is preoccupied

Stephen Thorpe wrote:

>as usual, these things get more complex the more you look into them:
>http://svpow.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/is-the-new-miocen-sperm-whale-leviathan-validly-named/

Wish I'd seen this before I wrote to Lambert. Based on the details
coming out in that blog, Lambert's name appears to be a homonym,
after all, and apparently he and his coauthors are already acting on
it. Amazing, in a way, considering how trivial it is to search the
Nomenclator Zoologicus online.

Peace,
--

Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology        Entomology Research Museum
Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega