[Taxacom] new whale genus name is preoccupied

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jul 1 18:32:09 CDT 2010

Arghh! It is all very messy! It is unclear when Koch was using common names, and when he was using scientific names. He seems to have followed his own "rules" of nomenclature. It is also unclear which historical documents are the originals, and which may be modified reprints. The BHL version of Koch (1841) doesn't agree with what has been written about it ...