[Taxacom] new whale genus name is preoccupied

Richard Petit r.e.petit at att.net
Thu Jul 1 18:34:13 CDT 2010

This does not directly concern the new whale genus, only to Doug Yanega's
comments about it. It never ceases to amaze me how many systematists will
publish "definitive" work on a taxon without knowing the original spelling
of the name.  By doing so it is obvious that the writer does not know with
certainty that the name actually applies to the taxon in question as the
original description has not been consulted.  There is no real excuse or
reason for an unjustified emendation  to ever become available, although
thousands are.  If strict priority had been enforced we would be better off.

dick p.