[Taxacom] ZooKeys jubilee issue: New publishing tools to accelerate biodiversity research

Vladimir Blagoderov vblago at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:20:18 CDT 2010

Dear all,

I would like to elaborate a little on Lyubo’s message. It was not an
advertisement of one more issue of a journal, but rather invitation
for discussion. We were working very hard trying to demonstrate how
modern computer technologies can change taxonomy.

For example, with the two papers generated from Scratchpaddata
published in the current issue of ZooKeys
(http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/article/view/506/447;
http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/article/view/505/462),
we are presenting an example that combines the advantages of online
publication and semantic web with the perpetuity of traditional
paper-based printed media. The manuscript is prepared online, from the
elements already present on Scratchpad, and these data are made
available to public on the day when the paper is printed.

This workflow may represent a shift in the way taxonomist work. At the
moment our work is paper-oriented, because for many of us the number
and quality of our papers is a key performance indicator. But do we
have to spend so much time on the preparation of the manuscript? Would
it not be better to concentrate on the content of the paper rather
than it's presentation? Most of the elements of a taxonomic paper can
be re-purposed, leaving us time to think on descriptions and
discussion. Few taxonomists can afford to devote their time entirely
to producing a monographic revision, neglecting other duties. But many
have a few spare moments between lectures or meetings to check a
description or upload a new picture - social networks are very good
examples on how people can be productive in between main activities.
If the information is kept organised, small incremental steps will
lead to a major work naturally. One may choose to publish small
descriptive papers or assemble a revisionary work - without
duplication of information.

Whether we like it or not, paper-based publications will disappear as
the major means of dissemination of information, and it will happen
sooner than we expect. Our system demonstrates one of the possible
ways of transition. It brings the best of both worlds: permanent
paper-based publication and access to the most current information
about the taxon on the Scratchpad. Check, for example, species page
(http://milichiidae.info/category/classification/stomosis-arachnophila),
Scratchpad publication (http://milichiidae.info/node/15295), and
journal publication
(http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/article/view/505/462;
http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/article/view/505/471)
about the new milichiid species.

But, of course, I realise, that it is nowhere as interesting as a
spelling error made 140 yeas ago :)

Cheers,

Vlad

--