[Taxacom] FW: new whale genus name is preoccupied

Richard Petit r.e.petit at att.net
Fri Jul 2 08:11:19 CDT 2010

Although this has nothing to do with the misguided movement to permit
publication in electronic form only, there are authors and editors who
simply do  not care.

In my recent posting in this thread about original sources, I meant
original. Both Index Animalium and Nomenclator Zoologicus have errors.  It
is great to have Index Animalium on-line but the print version must still be
checked due to some errors made in the transcription process.  However, a
click on the page number brings up a scan of the actual page.

If electronic replication can mangle printed-on-paper work, consider what
could happen without a hard copy for permanent reference!

dick p.