[Taxacom] FW: new whale genus name is preoccupied

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Jul 2 12:38:25 CDT 2010

Paul Kirk wrote:

> I agree but ... are there practicing systematic (sensu lato) zoologists
> (palaeo or otherwise) out there who publish and do not know about
> Nomenclator Zoologicus on-line (and other on-line resources) and, as
> this publication concerned nomenclature did the assigned editor select a
> reviewer or reviewers who might be expected to know this?

* the thing that dazzles me about all this is the fact that Leviathan is
a biblical creature-name of such prominence that, a priori, there's no
way that it hasn't already been used for something, so that the
appropriate attitude in setting out to propose it would be a stunned
incredulity that it might be available, coupled with an absolutely
exhaustive search for whomever has already used it.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm