[Taxacom] FW: new whale genus name is preoccupied

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jul 2 18:31:01 CDT 2010

In connection with generic homonyms, it is surprising how some taxonomists think (or don't think). A good example (though I had better not give away the full details, and it isn't a N.Z. example) was this:
taxonomist X named a new genus Ya after their friend and colleague Ian Y.
Even though Y is a very common surname (and even though Ya is a well-known placename!), they [quote] didn't think to check for homonymy [unquote]!