[Taxacom] Geodorcus sororum

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sat Jul 3 11:08:57 CDT 2010

Hi Stephen,
      Before I respond to you and Richard on the subject of
subspeciation and speciation (which can be a semantic minefield), I'll
first comment on Geodorcus sororum.
      It sounds like a very interesting problem.  I would have most
likely been inclined to name it as a separate subspecies (Geodorcus
capito sororum), and then see if evidence could be found to justify
raising it to full species level.  But I guess entomologists (especially
coleopterists) aren't big on naming subspecies.
        Anyway, I wonder if this population is the result of having
evolved dimorphic males, and the big males simply won the war (instead
of both forms surviving by using different, but successful, strategies).
If so, I wouldn't be surprised if these larger males could easily
interbreed with females elsewhere in the Chatham Islands.  Is there any
sign of male dimorphism in genus Geodorcus or related genera?