[Taxacom] Geodorcus sororum

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jul 3 20:52:50 CDT 2010

Hi Ken,

Yes, Geodorcus sororum is an interesting case, and one for which the relevant taxonomist changed her mind completely between 1961 and 2007 (hopefully as the result of greater accumulated wisdom!)
There isn't male dimorphism as such in stag beetles, but there is male allometry, which may be equivalent for your argument. Another species of Geodorcus (G. helmsi) has a wide latitudinal range, and the northermost males are VERY different to the southernmost males, BUT the extremes are linked by morphological/geographical intermediates in this case. I expect that the same process is responsible for the G. sororum/G. capito distinction, but here there are no intermediates. Yes, it clearly is just a result of the isolation of a population on a tiny islet, but however the distinction came about we can still ponder the question as to possible resultant reproductive barriers between the two populations/species. If, as Holloway does, you postulate reproductive isolation, then you must call them distinct species.
I would use subspecies for a somewhat different scenario whereby two populations have small but consistent differences, but not of sufficient magnitude to suggest reproductive isolation. So, they would be distinct "morphological species", but the same (biological) species...
The main point here is that it doesn't matter how reproductive isolation came about, only that it is postulated to exist ...

Stephen

PS: Having said all that, Beverley Holloway's husband (Willy Kuschel) recently described a weevil as a full species rather than subspecies just because a trinomen would be too unwieldly!