[Taxacom] barcode of life

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jul 3 21:03:44 CDT 2010

Richard,
As someone once said "science isn't an exact science", and it is very true in the present context! I think that there are background assumptions guiding taxonomists which cannot be rendered perfectly precise, but which are nonetheless fundamental principles of taxonomy. One such principle is that if the order of magnitude of some difference between allopatric populations is on a par with accepted exemplars of distinct species, then this is good evidence for the species distinction in this case. In the case of Geodorcus sororum, the male morphology is as different to that of G. capito as any two Geodorcus species are to each other. It just happens to be the only difference between G. sororum and G. capito. It is an in principle refutable hypothesis that they are distinct species. To call them subspecies would be to postulate no such reproductive barriers, but rather just to name a distinct population with its own "morphological flavour" ...
Cheers,
Stephen