[Taxacom] barcode of life: PS

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 21:02:10 CDT 2010

This isn't really true is it?  Aren't notion(s) of short/tall,
dark/light, fat/thin, etc. and other continua are dependent on the
range, not on the distribution of the attribute within that range?
Most distributions of characters in nature follow a bell curve, but
what if they didn't?  Say the distribution was flat - individuals
clustered towards end would still be considered tall, the other short.
 What if it was an inverse bell curve?  Don't tell me... different
species at each end, for sure... :)

Even with a bell curve, the notion of short vs tall vs normal is
arbitrary. You can pick your working percentile and I can pick mine.
And it applies a flat distribution as well.  If you are a 25% person
and I am 33% person all it impacts is the number of individuals each
of us would call short of tall.

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~