[Taxacom] Weird fly, long mouthparts, need a family name, please

Robin Leech releech at telusplanet.net
Mon Jul 5 18:33:20 CDT 2010

Hi Taxacomers,

I collected a fly with most peculiar mouthparts at the
Wagner Natural Area just west of Edmonton, Alberta.

The fly looks much like a mycetophilid, but instead
of a normal head with small mouthparts, it has a long
tube-like mouthpart with palpi at the end.  The tube
is about 3+ times as long as the head is in diameter.
The mouthpart tube is about the diameter of a femur.

Any dipterists out there care to contact me off line?
I will send you a picture of the fly taken through a
Stereo Microscope.

Robin