[Taxacom] Homo sapiens neanderthalensis & did early H. sapiens arise in Eurasia?

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Mon Jul 5 21:19:13 CDT 2010

 Dear All,
       When I posted about Neanderthals last week, I failed to include
weblinks to any literature, so before discussing my classification of
Homo sapiens, I wanted to rectify that omission.  The most recent and
important paper discusses the surprising find that 1-4% of the genes in
present-day Eurasian human populations came from Neanderthals.  Since
gene flow from the Neanderthals ended with their extinction
25,000-30,000 years ago, this percentage was no doubt even higher in the
past.  This suggests to me that very significant interbreeding AND gene
flow occurred between Homo sapiens neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens
sapiens while they lived together in Eurasia.
      Anyway, here is a weblink to the abstract of that recent article
in the 07 May 2010 issue of the journal Science entitled "A Draft
Sequence of the Neandertal Genome" :
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/328/5979/710
        There were a number of news stories based on
these findings and interviews with various anthropologists, including
the following on the BBC:

         Below is the subspecies classification which I am still using
for Homo sapiens.  Note that I am still coding H. sapiens
neanderthalensis as evolving from a paraphyletic H. sapiens
heidelbergensis.  If true, the new evidence would also indicate that H.
s. heidelbergensis could have easily interbred with (or even given rise
to) H. s. rhodesiensis.  A slightly different topology might be that H.
s. neanderthalensis split off between H. s. heidelbergensis and H. s.
rhodesiensis, which might further increase the possibility that the
early (archaic) forms of Homo sapiens might have arisen in Eurasia and
then reinvaded Africa before modern humans evolved.  Its paraphyletic
mother species (Homo erectus) could have also originated in Eurasia.
Perhaps Homo erectus floresiensis ("hobbits'") are not so far
geographically from their origins after all.  Anyway, the popular view
of wave after wave of early forms of Homo in just one direction (out of
Africa) might be overly simplistic.   It could be a more complicated
back and forth.

      Homo sapiens
             1  H. sapiens antecessor
             B  H. sapiens cepranensis