[Taxacom] Centropyge (was: barcode of life)

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Tue Jul 6 08:15:39 CDT 2010

On 7/5/2010 9:03 PM, Kenneth Kinman wrote:
>        In defense of Mayr, his Biological Species Concept was formulated
> when population genetics was still in its infancy.  They didn't even
> know DNA was a double helix at the time.
Theodosius Dobzhansky was born four years *after* Mayr. Mayr was at his
scientific peak at the peak of the Modern Synthesis. They didn't even
know for sure that DNA was the molecule of heredity, and yet they
established the modern science of evolutionary biology. They missed a
lot of things, but Mayr didn't pick up on those either.
> I don't know enough about how
> his ideas evolved over the decades to comment on whether he should have
> more strongly modified his views and definitions or not.
My primary reference for Mayr's views is //The Growth of Biological
Thought: Diversity, Evolution, and Inheritance/ from 1982./