[Taxacom] CoL and ZooBank

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 8 12:50:35 CDT 2010

Alastair Culham wrote:
> I can answer part of your question.  I submitted a small off-line
> database to CoL two years ago (Droseraceae Database) - about 200
> species and about 300 names.  There was some paperwork to fill in
> to agree the basis on which the data were shared and there is an
> annual review process where I am asked to update my data for the
> new CD.  Periodically there have been emails giving me the
> opportunity to arrange review of my data by suggesting other
> experts.  The process is pretty painless and seems aimed at helping
> would be contributors.

Sounds like you had a better experience than I did.  When I was
working for the National Park Service I submitted ~3000 names, since
everything we dealt with had to be listed in ITIS.  Never heard any
more from them (though it was our database manager who did the
actual submission so maybe he had some correspondence), and six
years later they still haven't shown up in the database.

Karl
Karl Magnacca
Postdoctoral Researcher
University of Hawaii-Hilo