[Taxacom] CoL and ZooBank

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Jul 8 18:30:58 CDT 2010

Stephen,

I realize you are intending to defend (somewhat) the acronyms.  But you of
all people, who are sensitive to quotes out of context, should be ashamed of
this bit of your recent post:

> I agree
> that they can be rightly criticised for a bit of "misleading
> advertising", i.e.
>
> >"a comprehensive catalogue of all known species of organisms
> on Earth"
> >(CoL) and "a uniform and validated index to the world's
> known species" (Species2000)?

The first quote (CoL) is preceded by "is planned to become"; and the second
quote (Species2000) is preceeded by "aims to create".

Again, I realize the point of your post was to play Devil's advocate, and
defend the acronyms (somewhat); but it sort of falls flat when you
misrepresent the quotes as you did above.

I'm working on a much longer reply to Bob's posts now.

Aloha,
Rich