[Taxacom] an uneasy relationship between taxonomy and wikipedia

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jul 10 19:59:33 CDT 2010

I have only just glanced at Rod's paperas yet, but it is a little disturbing
that a text search for the term 'Wikispecies' turns up nothing. Wikipedia and
Wikispecies are two very different parts of the same whole, so need to be
considered separately for any comparisons. Currently, I am just beginning to
find strategies for "splitting the load" between the two Wikis, with Wikispecies
focussed on biodiversity and nomenclature, while Wikipedia focussed more on
issues like distribution, evolutionary history, significance to humans,
recognition, etc., etc. Currently, the biodiversity and nomenclatural info on
Wikipedia is not as reliable as it is on Wikispecies (assuming, of course, that
Wikispecies currently has info on that group)
Basically, I think Rod's paper (though, as I said, I haven't read it fully yet)
is likely to be a bit premature ...

Stephen