[Taxacom] Two species from one

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sat Jul 10 20:57:28 CDT 2010

Hi Richard,
      Not sure if this is what you are thinking about, but on 16
September 2007, I sent a couple of posts about the Eastern Red Wolf
(Canis lycaon) of Canada and the Red Wolf (Canis rufus) of the
southeastern United States.        However, in that case, I was arguing
that they might be the same species (but populations between them would
have been  extirpated), and more importantly that they could actually be
a separate species from both the coyote and the grey wolf.  I suggested
that the Greater Coyote was a better common name for such a species.
Perhaps that is what you are thinking of, but perhaps not.  Anyway, that
is what immediately popped into my mind.
       --------Cheers,
                         Ken Kinman
Richard Zander wrote:
     I remember that we discussed on Taxacom a taxon that extended up
the eastern seaboard of USA, whose north and south populations were
isolated by recent extirpation of the middle ones. Thus making two
species out of one, through loss of intermediates. Can anyone remind me
of what messages and dates (I can't find it on the Taxacom archives) or
even give me the citation of the paper?