[Taxacom] online publishing

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Jul 22 11:34:43 CDT 2010

Van: Donat Agosti [mailto:agosti at amnh.org]
Verzonden: do 22-7-2010 17:49

> It is not about formats: it is about reading content online
> rather than hard cover.

> If it where about format, then I would make the argument and
> stress, that, just as you point out with your discussion below,
> should not have it own format but be rather generic and
> with the content with some basic semantic mark-up.
> The other point is, that it has to be open access and
> archived somewhere with a high probability of sustainability.

> Donat

***
For nomenclatural purposes, it is first and foremost about permanence:
the guarantee that the document has not been altered.

As pointed out before, one of the ways to assure this for electronic
documents would be to have copies (of the entire publication, or at
least of the nomenclaturally relevant part) deposited, at publication,
in a central archive. Ideally this archive would be on-line, open access, etc. Another, lesser, option would be to extend special
recognition to some high-quality e-journals, each with its own
permanent archive.

Otherwise, without deposited copies, it IS about formats, formats that
guarantee an unaltered document. Whether that is possible? I guess that even with quite limited means, PDFs can be altered: those with more
technical ability could be probably be quite convincing.

Paul