[Taxacom] online publishing

Chris Freeland Chris.Freeland at mobot.org
Thu Jul 22 19:46:09 CDT 2010

The ideal for images would be JPEG2000 (JP2) or TIF, with embedded metadata.  With JP2 you can bundle custom XML and other descriptive metadata into each image, describe Regions Of Interest (ROI), and other neat tricks for making an image self-contained - the image can stand alone for preservation purposes and even better, contain rich information about the publication in which it was originally published or even how it was generated.  There's an open source image server called djatoka that works great for serving JP2 images.

Chris Freeland
Director, Center for Biodiversity Informatics
Missouri Botanical Garden