[Taxacom] Hygrobia (was Eurasia-Australian distribution)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sun Jul 25 13:18:20 CDT 2010

Hi Jason,
       So, do you think the distribution might more likely be the result
of an association of Hygrobia with a particular kind of plant?  I read
that Hygrobia uniquely (among adephagans) contains a couple of acidic
compounds, so perhaps it depends on a plant to supply those compounds
(or their chemical precursors).  Leopoldo noted the Damasonium
distribution, but I'm not sure its distribution is quite close enough to
be suggestive of a strong association (although both apparently like
acidic ponds).
          ------Ken
P.S. Are the species of Hygrobia in Australia common where they occur?
The Chinese species apparently is not, and might even now be extinct.