[Taxacom] Chile-New Zealand distributions (rafting as a rare alternative)

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Jul 25 22:14:05 CDT 2010

unfortunately in this case, the rafting might have to have taken the "long
route", or somehow gone in the opposite direction, as N.Z. is THE place for
eugnomine weevil diversity, with numerous genera (some still undescribed), while
the few other Neotropical eugnomines are rather unrelated to the N.Z. ones.
Again, I'm not sure that you understand the example properly? You say:

'Interestingly, the subgenus Fuscospora also is a single species from Chile
which resulted in several new species that radiated once they reached New
Zealand'

but in the weevil case, the parent species (R. tenuirostris) is still found
pretty much identically in both Chile and N.Z.